Girls, I know this is not fashion related, but I had to post about this as I have been delving into a bit of mediation over the last few weeks with amazing results, so wanted to share my experience with you. I suppose, I have always associated mediation with yoga retreats and people sitting around for hours in tents worshipping some kind of inner goddess, but in today’s modern world it is more about taking that few minutes out of your day to really quieten the mind and then focusing on your thoughts.
I have read so much about benefits of mediation but if I am completely honest I thought closing my eyes and trying to fall asleep was mediating!! But it is so much more than that , and almost like a skill in itself to master, but if you give it time you will be surprised at how much you enjoy it and in time will make it part of your everyday routine. We don’t realise how much our brain and thoughts run 90 miles an hour (well I know mine certainly does!) so it does take some practice but when you really focus on mastering this, it is quite powerful. Mediation can help reduce stress and anxiety, improve sleep patterns and even reduce blood pressure! It has numerous benefits for mind and body and I am by no means a master just yet, but found after a few weeks of trying to master the below pointers, it really has made a difference to the way I have been practicing it. There are numerous types of meditation and it can bring about powerful individual life-changing experiences for everyone , but if you are new to it like I am, mastering quietening the mind is the first step!
• Go to a quiet place, sit comfortably (you don’t have to sit cross-legged!) and begin by focusing on your breathing and this will help quieten you mind.
• Start with the breath. Breathing deep slows the heart rate, relaxes the muscles, focuses the mind and is an ideal way to begin practice.
• If you have negative or stress-related thoughts come to you, say to yourself “Block” in your mind and it will you re-direct your focus back to quietening your mind.
• There are some great introduction mediation videos on YouTube, there are so many to choose from, so select one that you feel would suit you best.
• Let me know how you get on, it will be great to share our experiences!